About this Visa
If you work in a critical industry, this temporary visa allows you to stay and work in Australia.
How long can you stay
- If you are working in a critical sector – up to 12 months
- If you are not working in a critical sector – up to 3 months
If you have a COVID-19 Pandemic event visa that is about to expire, you could be eligible for a new COVID-19 Pandemic event visa if you meet the following criteria:
- You want to stay in Australia to continue working in a vital industry,
- COVID-19 travel restrictions prevent you from leaving Australia until your visa expires.
To apply for this visa, you must:
- Apply online for the visa and be in Australia
- You must have sufficient funds to support yourself and any dependent family members accompanying you to Australia.
- Meet Australia’s health and character requirement.
- For the entire period of your stay, you must have sufficient healthcare insurance to obtain this visa.
Applicants operating in a critical sector must meet the following requirements:
- Have proof of employment or an offer of employment from an employer, and that the vacancy cannot be filled by an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- If you have a substantive visa that expires in 90 days or less, or if your last substantive visa expired in the last 28 days,
Applicants whose departure is postponed due to COVID-19 travel restrictions must do the following:
- Please explain why you are unable to leave because of the limitations.
- keep a substantive visa that expires in less than 28 days, or the last substantive visa expired within the last 28 days
This visa allows you to
- If you don’t have any other visa options and can’t leave because of COVID-19 travel restrictions, you can stay in Australia.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, remain in Australia to work in vital sectors such as agriculture, food manufacturing, health care, aged care, disability care, and child care.
If you are a visitor to Australia and cannot support yourself, you should make arrangements to return home.
The COVID-19 Pandemic event visa can only be granted to people in Australia.
- Both visa requirements and Australian laws must be followed by you and your family.
- To remain healthy and help combat COVID-19, you and your family must obey all public health instructions.
- Your actions must not jeopardise Australian citizens’ or permanent residents’ jobs, training, or working conditions.
- You may be allowed to work for a different employer in the same critical profession, but you must inform the Department of any changes in employment by completing a Change of Employment Form Notification of changes in circumstances (Form 1022) (172KB PDF).
- If you have been issued a COVID-19 Pandemic Event Visa to work in a critical sector for up to 12 months, you must continue to work in the critical profession and role for which you were granted the visa.
- Workers who arrived in Australia as part of the Seasonal Worker Program are only allowed to work for their Approved Employer. The Department of Education, Training, and Jobs must authorise any changes in employment (DESE).
Know all about