About the Citizenship
Becoming a citizen by conferral is a common way to become an Australian citizen. You need to be a permanent resident and meet certain criteria before you can apply.
You must be-
- Be a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen when you apply and when we decide your application
- Be in Australia when we decide on your application in most cases have spent time in Australia and know about our country intend to live in Australia or maintain a lasting link with Australia while overseas
An eligible New Zealand citizen
You are an eligible New Zealand citizen if you arrived in Australia with a New Zealand passport and you:
- Were here on 26 February 2001 or
- Were here for 12 months in the 2 years before 26 February 2001 or
- Were assessed as a Protected Special Category visa (SCV) holder and were issued a Centrelink certificate that states you were living here at a particular time.
Know all about