About this Visa
This temporary visa allows the parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen to visit Australia for a limited period of time.
How long can you stay
To apply for this visa, you must:
- You must meet the balance of the family test.
- You must not have made an application for a subclass 870 temporary visa.
- Your sponsor must be approved to be your sponsor.
- You must meet the Australian health and character requirements.
- You do not have to be under a certain age.
This visa allows you to
- You will be able to live, work and study in Australia for up to 2 years, however, no government support will be provided.
- You may travel to and from Australia as many times as you require.
- You may be eligible to apply for the subclass 143 permanent visa.
- You may make your application for this visa either inside or outside of Australia.
You can be inside or outside Australia when you apply for the visa.
Any family member applying for an application in Australia must also be in Australia but not in immigration clearance when applications are made. Any family member who requests a visa with you outside Australia must also be outside Australia when you apply.
If you apply for this visa in Australia while on a temporary visa with a no further stay condition, your application will be invalid, unless you apply for a waiver of this condition.
This visa application is evaluated in two stages.
- Check for eligibility and either accept or reject the application.
- When a spot becomes available, continue to evaluate the application and make a decision.
Do not make plans to relocate to Australia until we have given you a visa. If we grant you the visa, we will notify you in writing.
Know all about