About this Visa
TSS visa (Subclass 482) enables employers to address labour shortages by hiring skilled workers where they cannot find an appropriately skilled Australian. TSS visa holders can work in Australia in their nominated occupation and may have a pathway to permanent residency.
TSS 482 visa is comprised of a Short-Term stream, Medium-Term stream and Labour agreement stream.
How long can you stay
- Short-term stream: 2 years or up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years.
- Medium to Long-term stream: Up to 4 years. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years.
- Labour Agreement stream: Up to a maximum of 4 years, depending on the terms in the labour agreement. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years.
To apply for this visa, you must:
- Be designated for work under the terms of the Labor Agreement in a specified occupation.
- Have relevant working experience in or related to your nominated profession for at least 2 years.
- If it is necessary for your profession, have a relevant assessment of the skills.
- You must only work for your sponsor.
- Comply with the minimum English proficiency standards unless you are exempt.
This visa allows you to
- The Short-Term Stream: Applicants with occupations on the Short-Term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) may be eligible for visas of up to two years, renewable onshore once, for a further two years, and potentially renewable for an additional two-year period if applying from offshore
- The Medium & Long-Term Stream and Regional Stream: Applicants on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL) can apply for up to four years (with eligibility for permanent residency after three years, depending on meeting age, English, Health and Character requirements);
- The Labour Agreement Stream: This visa is for skilled workers nominated by employers who have a Labour Agreement, which is developed between the Australian Government (represented by the Department) and employers.
- A sponsorship application by the employer. The employer needs to be a lawful, operating business and meet local labour and employment practices requirements.
- Nomination application regarding the position to be filled, which includes salary details, efforts to hire Australian workers and the ‘genuineness’ of the position. The business must also be viable to sponsor from overseas.
- A visa application by the nominated employee. The visa applicant must demonstrate that they meet the skills required for their occupation as well as health and character requirements.
You must fulfil all visa requirements and comply with Australian legislation.
- If you are outside Australia when we grant a visa you must start work within 90 days of entering Australia.
- If you are in Australia when we award the visa, you must begin working within 90 days of your visa grant.
Know all about