About this visa
The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) subclass 491 visa allows Points-tested skilled workers and their families to live, study and work in designated regional areas for a period of 5 years. Visa holders may move between regional areas, which are defined as any area excluding Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
The main purpose of this visa is to assist regional Australia to access the people and skills it needs to grow and thrive. This visa is for people who have the required skills and wish to settle in regional Australia. To be eligible, a candidate must either be nominated by an Australian State or Territory or be sponsored by an eligible family member.
How long can you stay
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) subclass 491 visa will enable eligible skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia for 5 years. Visa holders will be eligible to apply for a Permanent Residence visa after three years.
To apply for this visa, you must:
- A state or territorial government agency must appoint you, or an eligible relative must sponsor you.
- Have a job on a list of related skilled occupations
- Have a skill assessment that is appropriate for the job
- Be granted the choice to apply
- Satisfy the point requirement
This visa allows you to
- Stay in Australia for 5 years
- Live, work and study in a designated regional area of Australia in line with your visa conditions.
- Multiple travel rights
- Apply for permanent residence, if eligible through the permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191) which commences on 16 November 2022
- Work in any occupation and for any employer in line with the work and residence conditions attached to your visa.
Other benefits of this visa
- Priority processing of regional applications
- Incentives for migrants to stay in regional areas longer as they build ties through workforce and community participation
- More points available to subclass 491 visa applicants
- Some occupations not available for Subclass 189 & 190 may be on the regional list
A definition of regional Australia for skilled migration purposes includes all areas of Australia except the metropolitan areas of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Gold Coast, Perth Newcastle, Wollongong and the NSW Central Coast will now be eligible.
The eligibility criteria for this visa include the following:
- Be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative
- Have an occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list
- Have a positive skills assessment for the occupation
- Score a minimum of 65 points
- Be aged under 45 years before you are invited to apply
- Have a Competent level of English at the time of the invitation
- Satisfy the health and character requirements
- Have no history of visa cancellation or refusal
You must fulfil all visa requirements and comply with Australian legislation.
Learn more about the conditions for this visa.
Know all about