About this Visa
This temporary visa caters to individuals who would like to come to Australia to study. This visa allows international students to undertake full-time education and training in Australia. This visa enables a student to stay in Australia for the duration of the relevant course.
How long can you stay
This is a temporary visa to study for up to 5 years. The course’s length and type will determine the length of stay. Children enrolled in Primary years 1-4 will generally only be granted a student visa for a maximum period of 3 years.
To apply for this visa, you must:
- You must have the required level of English unless you are exempt.
- You must be enrolled on a recognised course and have confirmation of enrolment.
- You must be able to prove that you can meet the financial requirement for this visa.
- You must meet the Australian health and character requirements.
This visa allows you to
- You will be able to travel to and from Australia as many times as you require.
- You will be able to work part-time for up to 40 hours per fortnight once your course commences.
- You will be able to add your spouse or dependent children to your student visa application.
- You could make your application from inside or outside of Australia.
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement is an integrity measure, which applies to all applicants. It is there to ensure that the student visa program is used as intended and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.
As part of any student visa application, the Department will assess to see if you are genuinely going to stay in Australia temporarily. To prove this, the following evidence may be required:
- Statement of purpose
- Evidence of your/your family economic circumstances in your home country
- Ties to your home country
- Evidence of past study
- Work experience (we do not have any work experience evidence) – Please provide evidence of employment for at least the previous
- Evidence of an offer of employment upon your return home
A new simplified student visa framework (SSVF) has been implemented to assess Student visa applications. The applicant will be assessed as regular or streamlined based on the education provider and country of passport.
If the visa applicant falls under the regular category, it is mandatory to satisfy English language and financial capacity requirements in addition to the general requirements. If the visa applicant falls under the streamlined category, it is not mandatory to provide evidence of English language and financial capacity.
- The visa applicant must provide evidence of enrolment at the time of application lodgement.
- If applied onshore or offshore, Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for all intended courses is required.
Health, character and insurance
- Visa applicants must meet the health requirements and have to undergo health examinations
- Visa applicant(s) must satisfy the character requirement
- Visa applicant(s) must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. It can be only meet by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
You and your family must comply with all visa requirements and Australian rules.
Know all about