About this Visa
This visa is for those who have entered Australia without a visa and are seeking asylum. It allows you to stay in Australia temporarily if you agree to Australia’s protection obligations and meet all other visa requirements.
How long can you stay
Up to 3 Years
To apply for this visa, you must
- You must prove that there is currently a well-founded fear of persecution that would result in serious significant harm should you return to your Home Country.
- You must be in Australia upon application for this visa.
- Other visa requirements, such as health, character, identity, and security, must all be met.
This visa allows you to
- You may stay in Australia temporarily for up to 3 years.
- You will be able to access short term counselling for torture and trauma that you have suffered.
- You will be able to work or study while you remain in Australia.
- You may be able to access 510 hours of free English Language classes.
- You will be able to access the Australian Government benefits.
- You may be able to travel to other countries other than your home Country upon written approval of compelling and compassionate circumstances.
- You may be able to extend your stay if you are not subject to any barring provisions.
When you apply for this visa, you and any members of your immediate family who are included in your application must be in Australia.
You and other members of your family unit who are included in your application must comply with all visa requirements and Australian rules.
See which conditions apply to this visa
Know all about