About this Visa
This visa is for people who entered Australia without a visa and want to apply for asylum. It allows you to stay in Australia for a limited period of time if you comply with Australia’s protection obligations and meet all other visa requirements.
How long can you stay
Up to 5 Years
To apply for this visa, you must
- You must prove that there is currently a well-founded fear of persecution that would result in serious significant harm should you return to your home country.
- You must meet the Australian health and character requirements.
This visa allows you to
- You may stay in Australia temporarily for up to 5 years.
- You will be able to work or study while you remain in Australia.
- You will be able to access the Australian Government benefits.
- If you meet the Safe Haven Enterprise visa pathway requirements, you may apply for other visas in Australia, including permanent visas such as skilled and family visas (but not a permanent Protection visa).
You must be in Australia when you apply for this visa, as must any members of your family unit who are included in your application.
You and the members of your immediate family listed on your application must comply with all visa requirements and Australian rules.
You can live, work, or study anywhere in Australia if you have a Safe Haven Enterprise visa. If you choose not to live, work, or study in a SHEV regional area, there are no consequences.
If you do not work or study in a SHEV regional area, you may still apply for another SHEV or a Temporary Protection visa if you need Australia’s assistance.
Know all about