About this Visa
This permanent visa allows you to stay in Australia to care for someone who has a long-term medical condition and does not have adequate access to care in Australia.
How long can you stay
To apply for this visa, you must:
- You must be willing to be able to provide ongoing substantial care and support for your sponsoring relative or the family member who resides with them.
- Your sponsor must be your relative or your relative’s partner.
- Your sponsor must have obtained or be in the process of obtaining a medical certificate from Bupa.
- Your sponsor must be unable to reasonably access care in Australia.
- You must meet the Australian health and character requirements.
This visa allows you to
- You will be able to stay in Australia permanently.
- You will be able to work or study anywhere in Australia.
- You will be able to access the Australian Government benefits.
- You may be able to sponsor eligible family members to come to Australia.
- You may be eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship.
Subclass 116: You must be outside of Australia at the time you apply and if your application is approved.
Subclass 836: When you apply and when we grant your application, you must be in Australia.
Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
For the next 5 years after we issue this visa, you are free to travel to and from Australia as often as you want. As long as the visa’s travel privileges remain valid.
If you want to travel beyond the initial 5-year period, follow these steps:
- Apply for a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- Consider applying for citizenship in Australia. You won’t need a visa to visit Australia if you become an Australian citizen. To leave and re-enter Australia, you will need to apply for an Australian passport.
All Australian rules must be followed by you and your family.
Know all about