About this Visa
This permanent visa allows an elderly parent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen to remain in Australia.
How long can you stay
To apply for this visa, you must:
- You must meet the age requirement.
- You must meet the balance of the family test.
- Your sponsor must be approved to be your sponsor.
- You must meet the Australian health and character requirements.
- You must have the assurance of support.
- You must be in Australia at the time of application.
This visa allows you to
- Indefinite stay in Australia
- In Australia, you can work and study.
- Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s national health-care programme.
- Sponsor a visit to Australia for a relative
- If you are eligible, apply for Australian citizenship
When you apply and when we decide on your application, you must be in Australia but not in immigration clearance.
Any family members who apply for the visa with you must be in Australia at the time of application, but not in immigration clearance.
This visa application is evaluated in two stages.
- Check for eligibility and either accept or reject the application.
- When a spot becomes available, continue to evaluate the application and make a decision.
Do not make plans to relocate to Australia until we have given you a visa. If we grant you the visa, we will notify you in writing.
Estimate how many applications are ahead of yours in the queue with the Parent Visa Queue Calculator.
You must fulfil all visa requirements and comply with Australian legislation.
Know all about