About this Visa
Applications to sponsor a parent for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa opened on 17 April 2019. Once a sponsorship application is approved, a sponsored parent is able to apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. Applications for the visa opened on 1 July 2019.
How long can you stay
To apply for this visa, you must:
- You must be the biological, step or adoptive parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Your sponsor must be at least 18 years of age.
- Your sponsor’s household income must be deriving at least $83,450 annually.
- Your sponsor must have complied with all previous visa obligations.
- You must have access to sufficient funds to support your stay in Australia.
- You must meet the Australian health and character requirements.
- You must have the genuine intention to stay in Australia on a temporary basis.
- You must have health insurance during the life of your visa.
- You must make your application outside of Australia.
This visa allows you to
- Reconnect with your children
- You can stay in Australia for 3 or 5 years.
- Reapply for additional Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas to stay in Australia for up to ten years.
This visa prevents you from working in Australia.
Number of places available
Up to 15,000 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas may be granted each program year (from 1 July to 30 June).
The 15,000 caps have been set by the Government in recognition of the challenges of an ageing population, as well as the overall budget impact of older migrants. The limit also reflects the Government’s priority of providing visas for children and partners of Australians, as well as the need to target young skilled migrants to maximize the economic benefits of migration.
The visa provides parents with a new pathway to temporarily reunite with their children in Australia while ensuring that taxpayers are not required to cover additional costs. The visa responds to community concerns about the limited number of Parent places in the migration program and associated lengthy waiting periods.
Visa applications must be lodged within six months of sponsorship approval and cannot be lodged until a sponsor has been approved.
You must fulfil all visa requirements and comply with Australian legislation.
Know all about